Digital Agency Owners: Love it or List It?
Growing a digital agency is tough work…. do you STILL have what it takes?
If you haven’t heard it by now, digital agency life is the one of the wildest, fastest changing industry of all time. And…what it takes today is
5 to 10 times harder than when I started my Kansas City digital agency back in 2007. On the other hand, I think if you are a right and left brained person, and have all the skills, then there is nothing more rewarding than challenging yourself to start and grow a digital agency.
Today, I wanted to talk about the mental capacity side of where you’re at with your business.
1. Waking Up Every Day
It’s easy to answer the question “do you get up and do what you love every day”? You actually have to love this industry to be in it. It takes…
- Daily learning and growth
- Leadership and consultation skills
- Teamwork and partnerships
- Ever changing technical know how
- Social Media Awareness & Skills
- Website Trends, Art Direction, Up to date SEO skills
- Inbound marketing and sales knowledge, Social Media, Paid Search, SEO
And that’s just the start…You also have to be good at HR, Accounting, Sales, Leadership, and all around people extraordinaire. If you are too tired to get up and hit that ground
running every single day, a lot of nights and some weekends, it’s time to List Your Agency for Sale. You have probably already been operating your company or agency months or years past when you should have.
2. Quick Health Check
How’s your agency doing? We are in an environment where many business owners peaked with their businesses years ago and kept repeating that same formulas and now wonder why sales are declining. The agency business changes every day and you have to keep up or even ahead of it. They have to get up and take risks daily and weekly to grow your company. For your company to compete, you have to have your act together. Let’s see if you are really doing well. Do you have complete control over…
- Weekly website updates and is the overall look fresher than your competition?
- Constant improvement and growth with your team through a real education program that ensures their success?
- Does your company have processes…my agency was an EOS company that really helped us keep our house clean and everything rowing the same direction?
- Do you have your own marketing plan and treat your company likes your BEST customer?
- Do you have a sales team, pounding the pavement or phones (don’t rely on paid search and socialAre you making good or even great profits?
If the answer is no, then are you willing to Grow It? Do you have the energy and drive to wake up and do what it takes to put your company on the right track?
At Healthy Brands, we understand both, the “burned out” agency owner and the owner who has made a great run and just ready to move onto something else. You can win either way by selling, getting money in your pocket for your hard work and trying something new.
I think you have to ask yourself, where are you at with your digital agency. Are you excited about what’s happening in your business, the clients, or does it needs some work to get it up to speed before you sell it? Are you not excited to do all the things we talked about in this post and are considering listing it for sale now?
If things are great, I champion your journey to success. For those questioning their journey, please sign up for a free consultation and I can help you assess how much your agency is worth so you can make the most of your future for you and your family.